Since the summer of 2013, Russ Lamer and Bob LaNigra have led “loop and lunch rides” on the Eastern Trail. Each has offered a loop ride on either the off-road or on-road sections of the trail (or both!) , as well as a refreshing restaurant lunch along the route.
Read about previous rides further below on this page. There is a slideshow of ride pictures at the bottom.
2021 Loop & Lunch Rides on the Eastern Trail:
Here are the rides scheduled so far for 2021:
- June 26, 2021 (Saturday) – Meet at Mill Brook Industrial Park, in Saco, at 9:00 am and be prepared to ride by 9:30 am. Ride will take us along the Eastern Trail, head west to some back country roads in Scarborough and Saco, down to Camp Ellis, then along the ocean to OOB, Pine Point Beach and back to Mill Brook Rd. Lunch will be at Ken’s Place Seafood. Ride will be approx. 30 miles.
- August 14, 2021 (Saturday) – Meet at Mill Brook Industrial Park, in Saco, at 9:00 am and be prepared to ride by 9:30 am. Ride will be along the Eastern Trail to Bug Light. Lunch will be at the Sebago Brewery, which is adjacent to the trail. or Scratch Bakery. Approx. 30 miles.
- Sept. 25, 2021 (Saturday) – Meet at the Wells Amtrak Transportation Center, in Wells, at 9:00 am and be prepared to ride by 9:30 am. Course will be along back country roads winding our way to Ogunquit, then to Wells Beach and back. Lunch will be at Fisherman’s Catch. Approx. 30 miles.
- Oct. 23, 2021 (Saturday) – TBA
You must register ahead of time for each ride. Please email Bob LaNigra to register and if you have questions.
For each ride, check in time begins at 9 a.m. and rides start at 9:30 a.m. The rides are capped at 25 (or perhaps even fewer!).
- Safety is a high priority: riders will sign a waiver at check-in, and provide emergency contact info; a ride sweep will accompany all rides
- Wear a helmet
- Be able to average a speed of 13 to 15 mph
- Make sure you bring sunscreen, money for lunch and a bottle of water or two.
Examples of Some Other Past Loop & Lunch Rides:
September 26, 2020 – This ride started at the Wainwright Recreation Complex and proceeded along Black Point Rd., to Ferry Beach, Higgins Beach, Kettle Cove, Portland Head Light, Bug Light and then return on the Eastern Trail with a lunch stop at the Sea Dogs Restaurant.
June 8, 2020 – This ride started at Bug Light in South Portland taking the ET Greenway to Wainwright field then continued on the road on Highland Avenue to Black Point Road to Prout’s Neck, back to 77, right at Sprague Hall down to the Sprague estate entrance and back to 77 and then to Two Lights and back to 77. We stopped at C-Salt for lunch before returning to Bug Light.
August 24, 2019 – The group of 18 riders started out at Thornton Academy on the Eastern Trail, and 16 ended up at Bug Light before going to Scratch Bakery in South Portland for lunch. After a delicious lunch, we had a great ride back. Only one flat tire on our return trip…but everyone was smiles when we arrived at the Thornton Academy parking lot. Perfect day for riding.
October 19, 2019 – This was the annual Tweed or Crazy Sweater Ride. We started at Wainwright Field in South Portland, crossed the Scarborough Marsh on the ET and then took the road into Old Orchard Beach to Route 9 Camp Ellis and on to Saco. After lunch at Cia we returned to Wainwright on the ET.
August 29, 2015 – This Loop & Lunch Bunch ride was held on another perfect day, and was a fun 38 mile ride for the ET Loop & Lunch Bunch. Fourteen riders started at the Eastern Trail at the Biddeford Medical Center, and took the off-road trail to Kennebunk. From there we took the on-road ET to Wells. Lunch was at The Seed & Bean Restaurant
June 7, 2014 – 20 .riders turned out for the first Loop & Lunch ride of 2014. The weather was perfect with plenty of sunshine and just the right amount of summer breeze. Riders started on the Eastern Trail at Black Point and Eastern Roads in Scarborough then rode along the scenic coast through Old Orchard Beach to Camp Ellis then up Route 9 into Saco. Lunch was at Run of the Mill Restaurant in Saco, and what an outstanding job the restaurant did waiting on the Loop & Lunch Bunch. Laura our waitress deserves one big medal for doing a superb job on taking orders and delivering everyone’s food all at the same time. The service and food were an A+! On the return trip, everyone worked up enough of an appetite for a stop at Bayley’s Ice Cream on Pine Point Road in Scarborough before crossing the marsh back to the parking lot.
Great rides, great people, great food! Check back here on on the Events page for details on upcoming ET Loop & Lunch Bunch Rides.