Events on the Eastern Trail - 2017
There are many fun events that take place on a regular basis on the Eastern Trail! You can also find additional events on our online ETA Calendar.
Events on this page are organized with Trailwide events first, then specific sections: So, Portland-Scarborough-OOB-Saco, Biddeford-Arundel-Kennebunk, and Eliot, South Berwick, Berwick, Kittery, North Berwick, Wells. At times we will also list other interesting Maine, New England region and national trail events here.
Upcoming So. Portland-Scarborough-OOB-Saco Section Events:
- Saturday, May 20th - John Andrews Memorial 5K Walk/Run, 9AM -
sponsored by O’Reilly’s Cure. This event is in honor of John Andrews, Eastern Trail founder, mentor and friend. More information here.
Look for the ETA booth with information about the Eastern Trail.
Saturday, May 20th - Saco 2nd Annual Bike Rodeo, 9AM - 12 Noon at the Saco Municipal Building, 351 North Street in Saco. Look for the ETA booth with information about the Eastern Trail.
- Sunday, July 23rd - Tri For a Cure, South Portland, 12 Noon. Trail course for running and biking is in part is on the Eastern Trail (both on and off-road routes). More information and registration links here.
Upcoming Biddeford-Arundel-Kennebunk Section Events:
- Saturday, March 25th – 9:00–10:30 am – Kennebunk Elementary School. Join AARP and ETA for a morning walk along the beautiful Eastern Trail in Kennebunk, led by naturalist and Eastern Trail trustee Joe Yuhas. Bring your own walking equipment as needed (poles, snowshoes, etc.). Please leave pets at home, but bring the grandkids!. More info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/184205262044742/
- Sunday April 11 ET Full Moon Walk, 7 pm Biddeford - Southern Maine Health Care, 1 Medical Center Drive (map). These walks meet at the rear of the Southern Maine Health Care parking lot. Leave your electronics behind for a while and join us for a walk under the moon. No flashlights or pets please. Read about the Full Moons here.
- Tuesday May 10 ET Full Moon Walk, 8 pm Biddeford - Southern Maine Health Care, 1 Medical Center Drive (map). These walks meet at the rear of the Southern Maine Health Care parking lot. Leave your electronics behind for a while and join us for a walk under the moon. No flashlights or pets please. Read about the Full Moons here.
Upcoming Eliot, South Berwick, Berwick, North Berwick, Wells Section Events:
- No events scheduled at this time.
Here are some exciting group trail events planned for 2017:
- Maine Lighthouse Ride — Our Biggest Event takes place September 9, 2017. This is our premier event for the year, and once again is expected to reach its limit of 1200 registered riders! Four great ride options:
- Century (100-mile) 7:30 am (See all 9 lighthouses.)
- 62-mile (metric century) 8:15 am (8 lighthouses visible)
- 40-mile 9:00 am (8 lighthouses visible)
- 25-mile 9:45 am (7 lighthouses visible)
- Lunch and Loop Rides. To acquaint participants with the beauty of the Eastern Trail and increase twowheeled camaraderie, the Eastern Trail Alliance will sponsor from three to five bike rides. To allow riders to enjoy Maine’s seasonal changes, ride organizer Russ Lamer will lead them from Spring through Fall. More information here.
- ET Moonlight treks are scheduled throughout the year, often every month -— walking in the summer, snowshoeing and skiing as possible in the winter. Read about the Full Moons here.
Other Maine, New England Region and National Trail Events:
- Sunday, April 23rd - Great Maine Bike Swap, Portland, 10 am - 1 pm. At the Swap, you can choose from hundreds of bikes, including hybrids, road bikes, mountain bikes, children’s bikes, recumbents and more. The inventory covers all price ranges, so you’re sure to find something that suits your budget. And you’ll be going “green” by getting a gently used bike rather than a new one. More information here.
In addition to the events shown above:
- Check our Events Calendar, which lists all activities that we know about that take place on, or are otherwise related to, the Eastern Trail.
- Consider leading an activity on the trail — a walk, a bicycle ride, OR a birding expedition. Please
with your idea!
- Consider hosting an event on the trail that takes advantage of its fine resources. An example of such an event is the Snowy Egret Run/Walk for the Marsh, held on the Trail each Memorial Day weekend. If you are planning such an event, please fill out a Event Request Application.
Click here for a great set of pictures from a Sunset/Moonrise Walk held April 2012 on the ET (pictures taken by ETA volunteer Jim Bucar). Watch the ETA calendar for similar upcoming events.
A while back, Joe Yuhas, ETA Trustee and leader of many trail activities, was interviewed by a local television station. He talked about the variety of events that take place on the Eastern Trail. You can watch it here. Great job, Joe!